Family & Partner Visas

Subclass 820/801 De Facto / Spouse visa

Subclass 309/100 Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa

Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage visa

Subclass 101/802 Child visa

Subclass 173/143 Contributory Parent visa

Subclass 864/884 Contributory Aged Parent visa

Other visas – Remaining Relative, Orphan, Adoption and Carer visas


There are a number of family visa options in Australia. Obvia Legal can provide you with advice and assistance with all of the visas.

The subclass 820/801 and subclass 309/100 Partner visas are designed for those who are living in a committed, ongoing and genuine marital or de facto relationship, with an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen). This includes same-sex relationships. Applicants within Australia are eligible for the subclass 820/801 while applicants outside Australia are eligible for the subclass 309/100 visa.

The subclass 300 Prospective Marriage visas, sometimes known as ‘Fiancé visas’, are for those who are not yet married, but intend to marry and live in a genuine marital relationship. All applicants must be outside Australia when applied for.

The subclass 101/802 Child visas are available for children under the age of 18 years, or dependent children over 18 years (in some circumstances). Applicants within Australia are eligible for the subclass 802 while applicants outside Australia are eligible for the subclass 101 visa.

Parent visas are for parents of eligible Australian residents and New Zealand citizens. There are a range of options to be considered, depending on finances, time-frames, family-make up, the age of your parents etc. We can advise you on which option is best for your circumstances. The subclass 173/143 Contributory Parent visas are eligible for applicants outside Australia while applicants within Australia are eligible for the subclass 864/884 Contributory Parent visa.

Other family migration visas include Orphan Relative, Remaining Relative and the Carer visa.

In all cases, a family migration visa needs sponsorship from an eligible Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. For example, a Partner visa application is sponsored by the spouse/partner of the visa applicant, or a Parent visa is sponsored by a child.

At Obvia Legal, we can also assist you with other areas which can be important for your life in Australia. There are various documents that govern our family lives now, and they may be relevant for your visa application, such as:

  • Family trust arrangements
  • Wills
  • Family business arrangements
  • Superannuation arrangements.

Let us know how we can help you.